- People who have vitiligo begin to develop white patches on their skin. These patches normally occur in the areas which are exposed to the sun. Face, arms, hands, feet, neck, and parts of the chest are more dormant to vitiligo. The groin region, armpits, nostrils, mouth, rectum, and genitals are other areas where these white patches may appear. There are three typical patterns in which vitiligo may occur on the skin. The fist is the focal pattern where the loss of pigmentation occurs in a few areas of the body. The second is the disconnected pattern where the loss of pigmentation occurs only on one side of the body, and the third is the generalized pattern where the loss of pigmentation comes all over the body. Some people who suffer from vitiligo may also experience advance graying of hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, and beard. Some people who have darker skin may also experience loss of color from lips and the inside of the mouth.
Causes of Vitiligo
- The exact cause of vitiligo is still unknown. It is surmised that there are three genetic distortions because of which a person becomes susceptible to pigmentation. It is mostly taken that vitiligo is an autoimmune trouble in which the immune system of the person begins to oppose against the melanocytes in the body. The cytokines produced by the body tend to alter the melanocytes, causing them to slowly die.
Home remedies for vitiligo
- Start with discovering your body to sunlight for a few minutes everyday. However, take care to not overdo this because the de-pigmented areas might get sun burnt. Expose yourself to sunlight when the rays are not that strong: in the morning or just before the sun sets.
- Get some lemna minor and mix one part each of the plant and honey with water. Drink this resolution twice a day. This will help reactivate melanocytes. You can also extract fresh juice from lemna minor and rub it on the involved areas of the skin.
- Take some St. John’s wort and extract its juice. Dilute with water and drink it everyday for at least five months. This will help you increase resistance to sunlight.
Diet for Vitiligo
- Your diet in vitiligo should be a healthy combine of fruits and fresh vegetables. Eat foods that help to detox your body. A high fiber diet with lots of water and other fluids is great in curing vitiligo. Also include supplements of vitamins A, B and C in your diet.